The Adhaar card is a 12-digit unique identification number issued by the Indian government. It is mandatory for all Indian citizens and is used as a proof of identity and address. It is linked to the individual’s biometric data, such as fingerprints and iris scans.
The Adhaar card was introduced in 2009 with the intention of providing a unique identity to every Indian citizen and to streamline government benefits and services. It has become the world’s largest biometric database and has been used for a variety of purposes, such as opening bank accounts, filing taxes, and applying for government benefits.
The Adhaar card has been mired in controversy, with many raise concerns about its security and privacy. However, it remains an essential part of Indian life and is here to stay.
What is an Aadhar card?
The Adhaar card is a 12-digit unique identification number issued by the Indian Government. It is issued to all Indian citizens, who are required to provide their biometric data such as fingerprints, iris scan and photograph as part of the enrolment process. The biometric data of every individual is stored in a centralised database that is securely maintained by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
The Adhaar card serves as a proof of identity, age and address. It can be used by individuals to avail various services such as opening bank accounts, filing income tax returns, and applying for various government subsidies. The Adhaar card also serves as a virtual form of identification, with users able to link their card to various online platforms such as mobile wallets and e-commerce websites.
Who is eligible for an Aadhar card?
Adhaar card eligibility is open to all residents of India, including both citizens and non-citizens who are long-term residents of the country. The only requirement for eligibility is being a resident in India. Steps for applying for the Adhaar card include filling an online application form, submitting documents that provide proof of identity and proof of address, as well as providing biometric information such as a photograph, fingerprint, and iris scan.
Non-residents are also eligible to apply, by submitting documents that prove their identity and address in India. However, they must also provide documents, such as a passport, visa, work permit or other valid identification, that prove their status as a non-resident.
The Adhaar card is free of cost, is voluntary and does not confer any rights or obligations. The Adhaar card is available for all individuals over the age of 18 years, as well as for children under the age of 18, who can register with the consent of their parents or guardians.
What are the benefits of having an Aadhar card?
The numerous benefits of having an Aadhhar card make it a worthwhile endeavour to obtain one.
For starters, having an Aadhhar card makes it easy to access government services, as the individual’s biometric information is linked authenticating the individual’s identity and ensuring that the benefits are received by the right person.
Not only this but Aadhhar also helps to eliminate fraud and corruption. This is because having one’s biometric information linked to the card makes it difficult for imposters to come forward and access government benefits, which helps to save government resources and funds.
Aadhar card also helps to reduce paperwork and makes it easy for employees to switch between jobs. This is because an employee’s Aadhar card acts as proof of employment, making it easier for them to switch and apply for a new job.
Aadhar card also helps to streamline the voting process as it prevents multiple voting, as the individual’s biometric information can be checked and authenticated quickly and easily.
Moreover, the Aadhhar card also provides individuals with access to various financial services, such as availing loans and accessing banking services. This not only provides financial security and convenience to the individual but it also helps to reduce poverty and inequality in the country.
How to get an Aadhar card?
Getting an Aadhar card is simple and straightforward. All you need to do is follow these steps:
1. Visit your nearest enrolment centre. Information about nearby enrolment centres can be found on the UIDAI website.
2. Fill in and submit the Aadhaar Enrolment Form with the required information. Make sure to carry original and photocopies of the documents required, such as a proof of identity and address.
3. Once the form is approved, your biometric information such as your iris scan, finger scan and photo will be collected in order to authenticate your identity.
4. You will then receive an acknowledgement slip with an enrolment ID. This can be used to track the status of your Aadhar card online.
5. Once the enrolment request is processed, you will receive your Aadhar card by post.
What is the process for getting an Aadhar card?
If you have lost your Aadhar card or need to update the information on your card, it is easy to request for a new or updated card. Here are the steps you need to follow:
1. Visit the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) website and check the steps for requesting an Aadhar card.
2. Once you have filled in the relevant details, submit an online application. Make sure you provide accurate personal and contact information.
3. You will then receive an SMS with an OTP (One-Time-PIN). Enter this code as part of the confirmation process.
4. After submitting your application, you will receive a URN (Update Request Number) on your registered mobile number.
5. With the help of the Update Request Number, you can keep track of the progress of your application online.
6. Once your application is approved, you will receive your new Aadhar card either by post or at your nearest enrolment centre.
What are the documents required for an Aadhar card?
The documents you would need to get an Aadhar Card are dependent on your age and place of residence. Generally accepted documents such as a passport, PAN Card, Ration Card and other government issued ID act as proof of identity, address, and date of birth.
If you are an adult above 18 years of age, you have to provide the photocopies of any of the above documents. For those below 18 years of age, parents or guardians need to provide any of the above with their IDs along with the child’s birth certificate.
For photo ID, you can use any of the following documents:
– Driving Licence
– PAN Card
– Voter ID
– NREGA Job Card
– Arms Licence
– Photo ID issued by the Government
– Bank ATM/Debit Card
It is also mandatory to provide biometric information such as fingerprints and iris scan. This is done to ensure the uniqueness of each Aadhar card holder
How to check the status of your Aadhar card?
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) provides several options to check the status of your Aadhaar card. You can:
• Visit UIDAI’s official website and check the status of your Aadhaar card
• Use the toll-free helpline number and ask for an update on your Aadhaar card
• Call UIDAI regional office in your area and query the status of your Aadhaar card
• Send an SMS to 51969 to know the progress of your Aadhaar card
You can also use the mAadhaar app to check the status of your Aadhaar card. The app is available to download from the Play Store or App Store. All you need to do is enter your mobile number and 12-digit Aadhaar number and you will be able to track the status of your Aadhaar card.
What is the UID or EID number
The UID or EID number is a 12-digit unique number assigned to every Aadhaar card holder in India. The UID or EID, along with the individual’s demographic data, biometric data and other details, is collected and stored in the Central Identities Data Repository (CIDR). This number is used to identify each cardholder and for various functions that require Aadhaar.
The UID or EID number is used to access and manage various government and private services from one source. The services include banking, insurance, pension, healthcare, tax filing and lots more. The UID or EID number can also be used to authenticate individual identity and an individual’s background information.
How to use the UID or EID number?
The UID or EID number is required to access and manage various government and private services. To use the UID or EID number, you can follow the steps below:
1. Locate Your UID or EID Number: The first step is to locate your UID or EID number. This can be done by looking for it in your Aadhaar card, either in physical form or online. It is also printed on the envelop which contains the Aadhaar card.
2. Create Online Account: Create an online account with the UID or EID number. This can be done by registering on the official website of the UID or EID number. You will have to provide your personal details like name, address, phone number, and email.
3. Provide Biometric Data: The biometric data such as fingerprints or retinal scans will have to be given in order to authenticate the identity.
4. Generate OTP: Generate a one-time password (OTP) for logging into the account. This will be sent to your registered number or email address.
5. Enter Details: Once logged in, enter the required details for the services. This includes personal details like name, address, phone number and so on.
Once you enter the required details, you will be able to access and manage various government and private services with your UID or EID number.
How to update your Aadhar card?
Updating your Aadhaar card is a crucial process to ensure your information remains accurate and up to date. If any of your details need to be changed for any reason, i.e. name, address, gender, email, mobile number etc. you need to update your Aadhaar card. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to update your Aadhaar card:
1. Visit the official website of UIDAI and select the “Aadhaar Update” option from the “My Aadhaar” tab.
2. Fill the Aadhaar Update form with the necessary details. Be sure to make any necessary corrections in the areas you wish to update on the form.
3. Submit the form along with the supporting documents that you need to update with. The list of required documents can be found on the website.
4. You will then receive an updation Request Number. Use this number to check the status of your Aadhaar card updation after 4-5 days.
5. After the data updation is done, you will receive an updated Aadhaar card in the mail. It is essential to store it safely and use the new Aadhaar card for all your identity and authentication needs.